By developing sensitivity to diverse cultural and multicultural populations of students, participants will enhance their ability to support ELL student progress in the classrooms, and ESOL district-wide programs through an understanding of culture and effective means for communication. All district stakeholders invested in ESOL progress will benefit from this course as it reaches across cross-cultural issues, accommodation needs, and how to enrich the larger ELL student population.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate the sensitivity to multicultural and diverse student populations that supports the wider ELL community.
- Demonstrate awareness of issues facing ELL students and the wider ELL community.
- Demonstrate the skills for effective communication among all stakeholders in the ESOL program community at schools, homes, and in the wider community.
- Translate knowledge of effective community outreach approaches.
- Practice and give examples for screening for language deficits and indicators of learning disabilities, particularly among special education students, language impaired and understand the distinction among them.
- Paraphrase how to screen for effective programs that support the needs of ELL students.
- Explain how to identify and support effective professional development programs and methods for teachers in support of the ELL students that they teach through research and evidence-based curriculum.
- Apply research-based principles and pedagogy in support of ESOL programs.
- Identify digital and technical resources and materials in support of ESOL programs, and in support of teacher professional development as it flows into cultural understanding and facilitation of language skills among ELL students.
This course is 22 hours